Welcome to Pony World

Ponies. Barns. Tack. Supplies. Visit often for musings on raising a horseback rider. We'll share experiences

and review tack, tools, and tricks of the trade.




Monday, June 18, 2012

Buying Real Estate

My eleven year old daughter sits on top of a 800 pound animal that hurls itself (and my daughter) over large obstacles. I am of course often asked by other parents: "Doesn't it scare you?"

My answer is "Only when she falls". And yes, she does sometimes fall. Her coach calls it "Buying real estate".  After practice I am sometimes greeted with: "Well, she bought a little real estate tonight, but she's OK."

I am not a worrier by nature, and I ride a little myself, so I have a pretty high level of tolerance for falling off. In fact, when it happens at our home barn, during lessons, it really doesn't phase me. I know she is fine, and since most falls don't incur injury, my biggest concern is that she hops back up and can finish the lesson on a positive note.

But at the horse shows, I am a mess on the inside.Things move faster at shows. The pony and the girl are more excited, and nerves are elevated. And while things move faster, when they go wrong, it feels like everything is in slow motion.

A couple of weeks ago, things went a little wrong. OK- maybe more than a little. Space judgment and strides were a bit off, and my pony girl got wonky over the jump, rode up the pony neck, and popped off. She fell flat. on. her. back.


So, this is where Pony Mama begins to sweat. Pony Girl is lying flat on her back in the ring. Coach runs out. Is Pony Mama supposed to go out there? What are the rules? Pony Mama doesn't know. We never went over this part. There isn't a Pony Mama manual that lists this stuff. I have seen other riders come off, but have not seen other Pony Mamas enter the ring. The Clash song flashes through my brain- "Should I stay or should I go?" Pony girl still lying flat on her back. EMT comes out. Crap. The EMT came out. Pony Mama still ringside, can hear and see daughter talking and moving, but still wondering what protocol is here. EMT starts tapping Pony Girl's feet. Pony Mama decides hell with it and goes out into the ring. It is HER Pony Girl lying flat on her back, and it is time to be there with her. When Pony Mama gets there Pony Coach says "Good. It is time for Mom to be here". Whew.

Pony Girl gets on her feet and we walk away together. As we're walking, Pony Girl describes the feeling of having the wind knocked out of you. It occurs to me she's never heard of or experienced this feeling before now. Such a simple concept- but such a scary feeling. Gasping. Squeaking. Unable to talk. Unable to breathe for a few seconds. Easy for a little Pony Girl to feel panicked. Really easy for a Pony Mama to feel that way too.
Yep. She got back up on the pony. Confidence only temporarily shaken. Not so sure that Pony Mama's nerves fared as well. But we'll be back ringside next weekend. Hopefully Pony Girl won't be buying any new real estate.

Anyone who is concerned about his dignity would be well advised to keep away from horses.
-Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

3 comments:

  1. You are calmer than I am but you knew that already!!!! Love the posts. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work muabannhadat binh duong

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... Metrowide Appraisal Services Inc

    ReplyDelete